Careers Information, Advice and Guidance at OHS
At OHS, we provide bespoke and ambitious Careers support which uses the expertise and relationships developed by OHS staff to foster a ‘yes, I can’ attitude in our pupils and move them in a positive direction, giving them a sense of purpose and hope for the future.
What we offer….
A bespoke & ambitious offer with pupils at its core and which is:
● Underpinned by the 8 principles outlined in the Gatsby benchmarks
● Integrated within the OHS Personal Development curriculum in order to provide a wide range of opportunities to develop key employability and personal skills
● Promotes career awareness for all pupils at all key stages
● Personalised, so that activities and support are aligned to individual need
● Collaborative, professional support for pupils at OHS during reintegration and transition into schools, further education, employment & training
● Clear leadership roles & responsibilities within the school: Careers Leads in each setting, SLT strategic lead (Steve Lowe) and Careers Governor (Michael Goode)
● OHS staff trained to support and deliver a bespoke programme
● A bespoke online tool: Career Companion
● Weekly timetabled support, alongside needs driven 1:1 sessions
● Objectives & activities linked to the Gatsby Benchmarks (see below)
Careers at OHS*
* As a hospital school, we are exempt from the statutory guidance (Careers guidance and access for education and training providers, 2018) as the DfE recognises that it would not possible for us to meet all the requirements. However, we are committed to ensuring that our pupils are supported onto a pathway suited to their skill set and interests and we place great emphasis on working with enrolled schools and colleges to ensure that they fulfill their responsibility for providing a personal development programme that equips our pupils well for moving onto appropriate further education, apprenticeship or workplace.